“According to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in the sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and for sprinkling with his blood: May grace and peace be multiplied to you.”- 1Pet.1:2
What is sanctification? “The continuing spiritual process in which those who have been saved by faith are transformed into His image and likeness.”- MacArthur
“Sanctification is a progressive work of God and man that makes us more and more free from sin and like Christ in our actual lives.”- W.Grudem
What does the Bible say about sanctification:
- 1. Sanctification is a life set apart for service.
“Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you.”- 2Cor.6:17
- We are to be set apart from the things of this world.
- Growing more and more in the things that are of God.
- 2. Sanctification is through the atonement of Christ.
“And by that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once and for all.”-Heb.10:10
- We needed the “Work of the Cross” (Heb.13:12)
- 3. Sanctification is through the Word of God.
“Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.”-Jon.17:17
- In Jesus’ prayer we see we the believers, are to grow in the truth.
- God has given us His Word to keep! It is our instruction book!
- 4. The Church made glorious by sanctification.
“So that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the Word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without blemish.”-Eph.5:26-27
- As we grow in the Lord, it brings glory to the Lord! Remember it is his church.
- 5. Sanctification described as.
“But put on the lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires.”- Rom.13:14
- Our yielding over to the Lord, not letting our mind plan out sin.
- 6. Sanctification the purpose of.
“Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children.”- Eph.5:1
- We are to let the lord shine through our life.
- 7. Sanctification should lead to turning away from sin.
“For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor.”- 1Thess.4:3-4
- 8. Sanctification leads to fruitful living.
“But now you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life.”-Rom.6:22
- 9. You will not inherit the kingdom of God without it.
1Cor. 6:9-11 (read). Works do not save us, but they show if we are in the faith.