As Christians it should be our desire to hunger for spiritual food. The bible has everything we need for spiritual health. Let us look for a moment at the Bible.
How we received the Word (2Pet.1:20-21; 1Pet.1:10-12)
The purpose of the Word (2Tim.3:16-17)
A description of the Word (Heb.4:12)
The call to preach the Word (2Tim.4:2)
This look at the hunger we should have for God’s Word is part of holy living. And so far we see this about holy living.
We are to rejoice in suffering (1:6)
We are to love and trust and find joy in God (1:8)
We are to have our minds in the right place (1:13)
We are to have our hope only in Christ (1:13)
We are stay obedient to God (1:14)
We are to walk in awe of who God is (1:17)
We are to love one another (1:22)
We are to lay aside sin and hunger for the Word (2:1-2)
As we grow in the Lord it is that craving for the truth of the Word of God, that we build a strong foundation. Paul told Timothy this in 2Tim.3:16-17 “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.”
Some things to remember as you listen to this sermon
As you grow in your faith do you have a desire for spiritual things more than the things of the world? You should have this growing desire for the Bible!
It is important to watch what we say, and how we treat one another. At the start of this chapter, we see sin that deals with how we treat people. And the speech we use.
- 1. We need to turn from sin. (v.1)
“So put away all”
- a. Put away or rid yourselves: It is connected with various images, That of wiping away dirt (Jam.1:21); or taking off old clothes and putting on new ones (Rom.13:12,Col.3:5,Eph.4:22). The AMP says “So be done with”. So we are to stop sinning in any and all ways. That should be our desire! (That is what we deal with in spiritual warfare).
- b. Peter names the sin one by one.
- Malice: Wickedness.
- Deceit: Lying, in deceitful speech.
- Hypocrisy: Doing something to impress others, although the person doing it may not believe in what he is doing, insincerity, pretense two-faced behavior. Note: In some instances it is rendered as “to wear a mask”. We are pretenders!
- Envy: Jealousy, feeling of resentment or hatred over someone who has something which the other does not have.
- Slander: Insulting language. Greek Lit. “Evil Speech” Speaking about others in order to belittle or deframe. Critical of each other. “To shoot people with words.” Or “harm others by whispering”. (Jam.3) tells of how wicked the tongue can be.
Note: This shows the wickedness of sin, and how we need to be done with it.
- 2. Thirst for the Word (2.a)
“Like newborn infants”
- a. Infants: The Greek word is used to describe, the recently born. And could be talking of new Christians.
- b. Long for: A word that expresses intense, passionate, and strong desire for something. That is how we should be for the Word of God.
- c. Spiritual milk: The word “spiritual” means the Word of God or the Gospel. (Remember that is referred to in 1:23-25).
- d. Why we are to thirst for the Word. Look what it says in Heb.5:12 “For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God. You need milk, not solid food.” Than in v. 14 it states that solid food is for the mature. And to distinguish good from evil. (1Cor.3:2)
Note: What do we long for? And if it is the Word of God, we will grow.
- 3. We Will grow in the Lord (2.b-3)
“that by it you may grow up to salvation”
- a. This is the result of that thirst. That we will grow in relation to God. Look what it says in Act.20:32 “And now I commend you to God and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified.”
- b. Growth brings honor and glory to God read Eph.5:26-27.
- c. Growth leads us not to sin. Read 1Thess.4:3-4
“Tasted that the lord is good.”
- a. If we are born again we will have a desire for God and his word. So let not sin get in the way, and take away that hunger.
- b. This comes from Ps.34:8.
In closing: If we are going to love one another we have to lay aside sin and thirst for God and his word. This is how we grow as a Christian.