The work of the Cross
- Jesus gave His life so that you could have life.
- If you have new life. How are you living your life.
- New life means putting the pass life behind you, and moving ahead. Because you have been changed 100%.
- 1. It was God’s plan from the beginning (20)
“ He was foreknown before the foundation of the world”
- God offered Him before he created the world.
- APM: “It is true that He was chosen and foreordained, (destined and foreknown for it) before the foundation of the world.”
- NLT: “God chose him as your ransom long before the world began.”
- We see God’s purpose in His plan. Look at what it says in 2Tim.1:9 “Who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own plan and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began.”
“was made manifest in the last times”
- In this plan God made himself known “manifest”, and will do so when Jesus comes back again “last times”.
“For your sake”
- We can see this in the Gr. “in order to help you, or in order to cause good for you. This is personal!! That he would come for us.
- 2. God is the cause of new life (21.a)
“Who through him are believers in God”
- Through him or caused you to believe in God.
- “Believers in God” Believe here means to adhere to, rely on. You trust in God. Confidence in God. Figuratively: “To lean one’s weight on” or to put one’s hand in’ or give oneself to.”
- When regeneration happens we give our complete trust to Christ. We fall into his arms. We depend on him for everything.
- Jesus cried out his purpose (Jon.12:44-46)
- 3. Through the resurrection we have new life (21.b)
“Who raised him from the dead”
- We need the blood to cover our sins and the resurrection to put us in right standing with God. Read Rom.4:24-25.
- “And gave him glory” Also the resurrection exalts Christ, sending him back home to the right hand of the Father. “gave him glory” means gave him unimaginable splendor. “ made him great”
- The results are life in Him. “So that your faith and hope are in God” (lit. Gr.”Your faith and hope is toward God or to God”)
- Look at what Peter preached in Act.2:32-38.
In closing : How does the work of the cross effect your life? Does your life look different? Are you taking in the instructions on Holy living?